In today’s era of modern angling, where technology meets tradition, New Direction Tackle has emerged as a brand that likes bringing new and unseen products to market, revolutionizing the way carp anglers approach their fishing. With a firm commitment and a passion for pushing the boundaries of fishing tackle, they bring out some great products which every angler would benefit from using.
In this article we’ll be reviewing the New Direction Bait Boat, both the ND Bait Boat 1 and the ND Bait Boat 2.
New Direction Bait Boat 1 Review
The New Direction Bait Boat 1 was personally my first ever bait boat and I was thoroughly impressed with what it had to offer. I was trying to find reviews and comparisons of loads of different bait boats on the market but decided to go with the New Direction Bait Boat 1. The main reason for this was that it had everything as standard, that being GPS and Autopilot capabilities. Which were a vital necessity as it was bought for a fishing trip to France. Other bait boats on the market didn’t have any of these features as standard.
This bait boat features 2 powerful motors that allow for smooth and efficient navigation on the water. Additionally, it has a generous bait capacity with 2 hoppers, one in the front and one in the back hiding 1.5kg of bait each. It had quite an impressive range which was perfect for placing rigs I couldn’t quite cast to with my 10ft rods.
One of the standout features of the ND Bait Boat 1 is its advanced GPS system. This feature allows precise navigation and waypoint setting all through your mobile phone on the New Direction Bait Boat App, ensuring that your bait is delivered exactly where you want it.
Although this model of the ND Bait Boat doesn’t have the option of a fish finder. You can simply buy a Deeper Smart Sonar and attach it to the back of the bait boat with a specifically designed mount from eBay, this is what I did and it worked great.
Overall, the ND Bait Boat 1 is a well-rounded bait boat that offers impressive specifications, advanced features, and a complete package.
ND Bait Boat 1 Specifications & Features
- GPS and Autopilot with real-time satellite navigation via Google Maps
- Worry-free system: The boat automatically returns to the home point when the signal is lost
- App available for Android and iOS with Spot Manager functionality
- One-handed remote control with an analogue stick for optimal ergonomics
- Range of over 300 meters with an undisturbed view, antennas are interchangeable
- Long battery life using 4S Li-Ion batteries with 14.8V and 15 Ah capacity
- Firmware can be updated via a micro-SD card slot
- Two hopper doors with a capacity of 1.5 kg each
- Hook release feature for easy operations
- Light indicator system: Bright headlights, side LED panels, and backlight with LED signature, indicating a change of direction with a flashing function
- Various accessories are available, such as a mobile deeper mount or a Boat pod
- Workshop support in the UK and Germany for problem-solving or boat servicing needs.
- 56x40x24cm, 7.36kg
What’s Included With the ND Bait Boat 1
in the box It includes a practical Hopper Extension for added convenience, along with a compact Mini Handset for easy control. You’ll also receive two reliable 14.8V 7.5A Li-Lon Batteries to keep your bait boat running. Charging is a breeze with the included 16V 3A Home Charger and USB Cable for the handset. Transport your bait boat securely in the Large Deluxe Bait Boat Bag.
- 1x Hopper Extension
- Mini Handset
- 2x 14.8V 7.5A Li-Lon Battery
- 16V 3A Home Charger for Bait Boat
- USB Cable
- Large Deluxe Bait Boat Bag
- EVA Accessory Bag
New Direction Bait Boat 2 Review
I recently had the opportunity to test and review the New Direction Bait Boat 2, and yet again I was impressed with what New Direction had to offer on the second generation of their bait boat. Once again this bait boat had the GPS and Autopilot, however, this is at an additional cost and had to be purchased on the app. The feature I prefer on the ND Bait Boat 2 is the vertical hoppers which allow you to place your rig without having to slightly curl it up as you do the ND Bait Boat 1.
The New Direction Bait Boat 2 has the optional extra for the Deeper Chirp+ fish finder to be pre-installed inside the bait boat hull. This means you no longer require the mount that attaches to the rear of the boat as you do with the ND Bait Boat 1. This is great as it avoids your line potentially getting tangled up when you send the boat out to your spots.
Another optional extra is a range extender which can increase the range by an additional 200m which brings the full range up to 500m depending on weather conditions and interference.
The bait boat is yet again controlled by the same one-handed handset which is easy to use alongside the mobile app. Other bait boats on the market have a huge remote control and require a big screen for the fish finder, which personally I find very inconvenient
ND Bait Boat 2 Specifications & Features
- GPS on board with real-time satellite navigation via Google Maps
- The app features Spot Manager functionality
- Autopilot activation available as an additional purchase through the app
- One-handed remote control with an ergonomic analogue stick
- Range of over 300 meters with an unobstructed view, antennas are interchangeable
- Long battery life and easily replaceable 4S Li-Ion batteries, 14.8V, 5.2 Ah
- Battery compartment supports the option to insert a second battery for increased capacity
- Firmware updates via a micro-SD card slot
- Two large hopper doors, each with a capacity of 1.5 kg
- Convenient hook release feature
- Stylish carbon look design
- Bright headlights and taillights with flashing function for indicating changes in direction
- Optional built-in deeper smart sonar
- Various accessories available, including a mobile deeper mount or a Boat pod
- Dedicated workshops in the UK and Germany for problem-solving and servicing needs.
- 62x40x25cm, 5.5kg
What’s Included With the ND Bait Boat 2
The package includes a compact Mini Handset for easy control. Power up with the reliable 14.8V 5.2A Li-Lon Battery, and conveniently charge it using the 16V 3A Home Charger with both UK and EU plug options. Keep all your essentials organized with the handy EVA Accessory Bag. With this setup, you’re all set for an enjoyable and efficient fishing experience.
The ND Bait Boat 2 doesn’t include a carry bag, but one can be picked up from New Direction. make sure to get the Bait Boat 2 Bag to keep your bait boat and accessories protected.
- Bait Boat
- Mini Handset
- 14.8V 5.2A Li-Lon Battery
- 16V 3A Home Charger for Bait Boat (UK and EU plug)
- EVA Accessory Bag
In addition, for deeper version:
- Integrated Deeper Chirp+ smart sonar
- Extra-long external antenna for the Deeper
- 2-meter USB-C cable
In addition, with Range Extender:
- WI-FI Router in a waterproof box
- Expands the wireless coverage (>200 meter) of your smart sonar
- Tablet/Smartphone holder included
- Thread to mount on a bank stick or tripod
How Much Do the New Direct Bait Boats Cost?
New Direction Bait Boat 1: There’s one price for the ND Bait Boat 1 which is £950. This includes absolutely everything.
New Direction Bait Boat 2: The base price is £549 which is for the bait boat, handset, chargers and small padded case. The optional extra pricing is…
- Autopilot: £199
- ND Tackle Bait Boat Bag: £119
- Deeper Chirp+
It’s clear that both these bait boats that New Direction Tackle offer bring great value for anglers, not only in price but providing convenience and efficiency on the water. With other bait boats on the market, you could be spending upwards of £2000 for the same features and performance.
The New Direction Bait Boat 1 and 2 are well-designed and packed with features that will help to catch you more carp. From their long-range capabilities to their durable construction, these bait boats are a reliable choice for any angler. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to the ND bait boats, I would check out the Actor Boatman Bait Boats as these get amazing reviews.